Self-Employed Persons Program (Selection Factors & Requirements)
A foreign national who gained at least 2 years of work experience in the past 5 years as a self-employed in cultural activities or athletics may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under the Self-Employed Persons Program.
Overview Of Self-Employed Person s Program
A foreign national who gained at least 2 years of work experience in the past 5 years as a self-employed in cultural activities or athletics may be eligible to apply for permanent residence under the Self-Employed Persons Program. A candidate must show that he or she is intended to become self-employed in Canada.
Selection Criteria For Self-Employed Persons
There is a selection grid to assess whether a candidate will be able to make an economic contribution to Canada.
A candidate is required to score at least 35 points (out of 100 points) to meet eligibility criteria.
Selection criteria include:
Selection criteria Maximum points
English and/or French 24
Points for relevant experience (in the 5 years before a decision is made)
Relevant Experince Points
2 years 20
3 years 25
4 years 30
5 years 35
> =16 0
Points for Adaptability
Adaptability factor Points
Spouse's level of education 3-5
Previous work in Canada (1 year) 5
Previous study in Canada (2 years) 5
Relatives in Canada 5
Degree & years of study - Points
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. & 17 years of full-time study - 25 points
- 2 or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level & at least 15 years of full-time study - 22 points
- 3-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship & at least 15 years of full-time study - 22 points
- A university degree of 2 years or more at the bachelor’s level & at least 14 years of full-time study - 20 points
- 2-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship & at least 14 years of full-time study - 20 points
- 1-year university degree at the bachelor’s level & at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study - 15 points
- 1-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship & at least 13 years of full-time - 15 points
- 1-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship & at least 12 years of full-time - 12 points
- High school - 5 points
Athletics Or Cultural Activities
Experience is relevant if a candidate has taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or has been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics.
Participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics intends to capture performers. This comprises those who perform in the world of sport and the arts.
“World-class” means a person who is famous internationally. It also applies to persons who may not be popular worldwide but perform at the highest levels in their discipline.
Making a major artistic input or cultural life or athletics for the self-employed class is going to enrich Canadian culture and sports sector. When applicants have a great level of experience, ability, and right intent, there is a reasonable prospect that they have self-employment in culture or sport.
Eligible Occupations In Culture, Art, Sport, And Recreation According To Canada NOC
Professional occupations in art and culture (Major Group 51 of NOC)
511 Librarians, archivists, conservators and curators
- 5111 Librarians
- 5112 Conservators and curators
- 5113 Archivists
512 Writing, translating and related communications professionals
- 5121 Authors and writers
- 5122 Editors
- 5123 Journalists
- 5125 Translators, terminologists, and interpreters
513 Creative and performing artists
- 5131 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
- 5132 Conductors, composers, and arrangers
- 5133 Musicians and singers
- 5134 Dancers
- 5135 Actors and comedians
- 5136 Painters, sculptors, and other visual artists
Technical occupations in art, culture, recreation, and sport (Major Group 52 )
521 Technical occupations in libraries, public archives, museums and art galleries
- 5211 Library and public archive technicians
- 5212 Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
522 Photographers, graphic arts technicians and technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, and the performing arts
- 5221 Photographers
- 5222 Film and video camera operators
- 5223 Graphic arts technicians
- 5224 Broadcast technicians
- 5225 Audio and video recording technicians
- 5226 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, and the performing arts
- 5227 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
523 Announcers and other performers, n.e.c.
- 5231 Announcers and other broadcasters
- 5232 Other performers, n.e.c.
524 Creative designers and craftspersons
- 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- 5242 Interior designers and interior decorators
- 5243 Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers
- 5244 Artisans and craftspersons
- 5245 Patternmakers – textile, leather and fur products
525 Athletes, coaches, referees and related occupations
- 5251 Athletes
- 5252 Coaches
- 5253 Sports officials and referees
- 5254 Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport, and fitness
If you would like to know more about a Self-Employed Persons Program, you may call +1-647-695-5256 or email email@example.com or message us using the contact form below.