Federal Skilled Worker Requirements (Express Entry)

To immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker, you must first get at least 67 points under the 6 selection factors: language skills, education, work experience, age, job offer, and adaptability in Canada. Secondly, Federal Skilled Worker other requirements must be met too.

Federal Skilled Worker – Selection Factors

To qualify under the Express Entry as a Federal Skilled Worker, a candidate must reach at least 67 points (out of 100) under the six selection factors:

  1. English or French Language Skills - 28 points max.
  2. Education - 25 points max.
  3. Work Experience 15 points max.
  4. Age - 12 points max.
  5. Arranged Employment in Canada/ Valid Job Offer - 10 points max.
  6. Adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle in Canada) - 10 points max.

These factors are components of a 100-point system “selection grid”. Each of the 6 factors gives a certain number of Federal Skilled Worker points. This score will show if a candidate meets the Federal Skilled Worker criteria for the Express Entry. The current pass mark is 67 points. However, only candidates with the highest CRS score are invited to apply for permanent residence.

Federal Skilled Worker – Work Experience Requirement

1 year of work experience must be:
  • in the same job,
  • paid,
  • continuous, and
  • gained within the last 10 years.

Importantly, only specified occupations and jobs are eligible for immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker Stream. The National Occupational Classification System (NOC 2016) is used to assess whether a work experience, based on the skill type and level, is in the list of eligible occupations.

Thus, skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the NOC are eligible.

Candidate must show that all the duties specified in the occupational description in the NOC were done.

Regulated Professions 

Some examples of eligible occupations are managers, dentists, doctors, architects, chefs, plumbers, electricians. However, most of these professions are regulated in Canada. The provincial regulatory bodies govern lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc.

In case a candidate has experience in the occupation that is regulated, he should be authorized to work in that job in at least one of the Canadian provinces. In most cases, this means a provincial regulatory body licenses a candidate. 

Unpaid Internship, Gap, Changed Jobs

All the requirements for work experience must be met. For example, if a candidate volunteered or had an unpaid internship, this type of work does not meet the Federal Skilled Worker program requirements. If a candidate changed companies and has a time gap between the old and new job, this experience does not count either.

Federal Skilled Worker – Language Skill Requirement

A minimum result of the Canadian Language Benchmark 7 in all four language abilities: reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Language Test

You can take either the English or French test. For English, there are two options, either CELPIP or IELTS. Only “General test” (not academic!) option is accepted under the Express Entry. For French, TEF test is the only possible option.

The language test result is only accepted if it less then 2 years old (on the day you apply for permanent residence).

Federal Skilled Worker – Education Requirement

If a candidate gets an education in Canada, he must provide a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school.

If a candidate has another country’s education, he can still get points for that. However, he must prove that foreign education is equivalent to a finished certificate, diploma or degree in Canada. This can be achieved by applying for an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to an accepted agency: 

Federal Skilled Worker – Proof of Funds Requirements

Candidate must provide evidence that he has enough money to cover for basic needs for himself and family.

The amount of money depends on the size of a family.  To calculate the size of a family, include: 

  1. Yourself
  2. Spouse or partner
  3. Dependent children (under 22 years old), and
  4. Spouse’s dependent children.

Number of family members Funds required (CAD)
  • 1 - $12,669
  • 2 - $15,772
  • 3 - $19,390
  • 4 - $23,542
  • 5 - $26,701
  • 6 - $30,114
  • 7 - $33,528
  • Each additional family member - $3,414.

For example, C$12,669 would be required for a family of just 1 person – you, while C$33,528 – for a family size of 7 people. If a candidate has more than 7 family members, then he would have to add C$3,414 for each additional family member.

However, no need to prove funds if a candidate has a valid job offer from a company in Canada or currently work in Canada with proper authorization.

If you would like to know more about Express Entry Immigration, you may call +1-888-852-0528 or email info@leromlaw.com,  or message us using the contact form below.

View Details
Sold Out