Canadian Experience Class Requirements (Express Entry)

The Canadian Experience Class Program allows people with Canadian skilled work experience to become permanent residents of Canada.

Canadian Experience Class - Requirements

To immigrate as a skilled worker under the Canadian Experience Class, two primary requirements are:

1) Have the Canadian work experience.
2) Meet English or French language proficiency.

A degree (education), even though not a requirement, can add Express Entry points, and increases the candidate's CRS score respectively. You can calculate your CRS score and eligibility to apply under the Canadian Experience Class using free Express Entry calculator tool here. Proof of funds is not a requirement under the Canadian Experience Class.

1) Skilled Work Experience In Canada

Candidate must have 1 year of paid Canadian work experience within the 3 years of applying to immigrate under the Express Entry Canadian Experience Class program.

Canadian work experience should have been gained while a candidate was authorized to work in Canada. For example, work in Canada while on:

  • a post-graduation work permit, 
  • an open work permit, including the work permit issued under the International Experience Class program, 
  • a work permit that a Canadian employer confirmed by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), or
  • an employer-specific work permit that is LMIA-exempt. 

Eligible Jobs Under The Canadian Experience Class

The IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) relies on the Canadian National Occupational Classification - NOC 2016 to assess whether candidate's work experience, based on the skill type and level, is in the list of eligible jobs for the Canadian Experience Class stream. You can use a free tool to check the NOC here.

Thus, managerial, professional, technical positions and skilled trades under the skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the NOC are eligible.

You must show that you did all the duties specified in the occupational description in the NOC.

Full-time Or Part-time Work in Canada

You can gain 1 year of Canadian skilled work experience through 12 months of full-time work, which means 30 hours per week or 1,560 hours per year. Alternatively, you can work part-time for 24 months, which means 15 hours per week or 1,560 hours for 2 years.

Canadian work experience must not be continuous, or in the same job, as compared to the Federal Skilled Worker Stream! However, you can not claim the overtime hours to meet the time requirement.

For example, if you reach 1560 hours in the 8 months of work by working overtime, you still need 1 year of full-time work to apply under the Canadian Experience Class stream.

2) Canadian Experience Class - Language Ability

The requirement for language ability under the Canadian Experience Class depends on the skill type or level of the job in which you gain 1 year of the Canadian work experience.

You will meet the language requirement if you get a minimum result of:

  • Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs in all four language abilities: reading, writing, listening and speaking, or
  • CLB 5 for NOC B jobs in all four language abilities: reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Note, if you combine jobs in NOC 0, A, or B, then you must meet CLB 7 if you work longer in the NOC 0 or A jobs, or CLB 5 - if you work longer in the NOC B job in the required 1 year.

Language Test

You can take either English or French test. For English, there are two options, either CELPIP or IELTS. Only “General test” (not academic!) option is accepted under the Express Entry. For French, TEF test is the only possible option.

CLB 7 corresponds to score 6 for IELTS  or 7 for CELPIP in all four language abilities. CLB 5 corresponds to score 5 or 4 (for reading) for IELTS  or 5 for CELPIP in all four language abilities.

Language test result is only accepted if it less then 2 years old (on the day you apply for permanent residence).

Also, if you’re married or live with a common-law partner (foreign national) in Canada, either or both of you can fill out an Express Entry profile if both meet the requirements of the Canadian Experience Class Program.

If you would like to know more about Express Entry Immigration, you may call +1-888-852-0528 or email,  or message us using the contact form below.

View Details
Sold Out