Federal Start-up Visa Program
Entrepreneurs with an innovative business idea and ability to get a letter of support from a Canadian venture capital fund, angel investor group or business incubator can immigrate to Canada. The goal of Canada’s Start-up Visa Program is to build innovative businesses in Canada that can create jobs for Canadians and compete on a global scale.
Start-Up Visa Program Requirements
1) A Designated Organization must support a start-up and provide a Letter of Support.
Venture capital funds , angel investor groups or business incubators are considered designated organizations under a start-up visa program. These organizations are business groups that have approval for investing in start-ups. If such an organization decides to support a start-up, it will give a special Letter of Support.
List of designated organizations
If a Venture Capital Fund supports a start-up, it must agree to invest a minimum of $200,000.
List of Canadian designated Venture Capital Funds approved for start-up visa program:
- BCF Ventures
- BDC Venture Capital
- Celtic House Venture Partners
- Extreme Venture Partners LLP
- Golden Venture Partners Fund, LP
- Impression Ventures
- Innovation Platform Capital International LP
- iNovia Capital Inc.
- Lumira Capital
- Nova Scotia Innovation Corporation (o/a Innovacorp)
- OMERS Ventures Management Inc.
- Pangaea Ventures Ltd.
- PRIVEQ Capital Funds
- Real Ventures
- Relay Ventures
- ScaleUp Venture Partners, Inc.
- Top Renergy Inc.
- Vanedge Capital Limited Partnership
- Version One Ventures
- Westcap Management Ltd.
- Yaletown Venture Partners Inc.
- York Entrepreneurship Development Institute (YEDI) VC Fund
If an Angel Investor Group supports a start-up, it must agree to invest a minimum of $75,000.
- Canadian International Angel Investors
- Ekagrata Inc.
- Golden Triangle Angel Network
- Keiretsu Forum Canada
- Oak Mason Investments Inc.
- Southeastern Ontario Angel Network
- TenX Angel Investors Inc.
- VANTEC Angel Network Inc.
- York Angel Investors Inc.
If a Business Incubator supports a start-up, it must accept it to one of these programs:
- Alacrity Foundation
- Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
- Agrivalue Processing Business Incubator
- Food Processing Development Centre
- Biomedical Commercialization Canada Inc. (operating as Manitoba Technology Accelerator)
- Creative Destruction Lab
- Empowered Startups Ltd.
- Extreme Innovations
- Genesis Centre
- Highline BETA Inc.
- Interactive Niagara Media Cluster o/a Innovate Niagara
- Invest Ottawa
- Knowledge Park o/a Planet Hatch
- LatAm Startups
- Launch Academy - Vancouver
- LaunchPad PEI Inc.
- Millworks Centre for Entrepreneurship
- NEXT Canada
- North Forge Technology Exchange
- Platform Calgary
- Real Investment Fund III L.P. o/a FounderFuel
- Ryerson Futures Inc.
- Spark Commercialization and Innovation Centre
- Spring Activator
- The DMZ at Ryerson University
- Toronto Business Development Centre (TBDC)
- TSRV Canada Inc. (operating as Techstars Canada)
- Waterloo Accelerator Centre
- York Entrepreneurship Development Institute
2) A start-up business must meet ownership conditions.
Up to 5 people can apply as owners of a single business for a Start-up Visa Program. They must meet certain criteria:
- Each owner must hold a minimum of 10 percent of the voting rights in the business.
- The designated organization and the applicants must together hold more than 50 percent of the voting rights in the business. Voting rights are attached to each share of a business that is outstanding at a given time.
3) Applicant - owner of a start-up - must meet language level.
The ability to communicate in any of both official languages in Canada is a must if you want to have a successful business. It is necessary to meet the minimum point of the Canadian Language Benchmark 5 in speaking, reading, listening and writing in either French or English.
4) Applicant - owner of a start-up - must have enough money for basic needs.
New start-up visa immigrants must demonstrate sufficient money to maintain life in Canada. The amount needed depends on the size of a family.
Famly size Funds required
Additional family member - $3,414
If you would like to know more about a Start-up Visa Immigration Program, you may call +1-647-695-5256 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or message us using the contact form below.